F10's efficacy against COVID-19
F10 disinfectant proven effective against coronavirus
In independent testing, F10SC Disinfectant has been found to be highly effective against enveloped viruses in the medical (human medicine) sector. This includes coronavirus and as such covers efficacy against COVID-19. Blutest laboratories, an internationally accredited laboratory, concluded that:
"This product (F10 SC Disinfectant) therefore is effective against all enveloped viruses…(including) all coronaviruses and SARS-CoV-2"
A summary of results can be found below or read the full test report from the laboratory.
The test carried out by Blutest laboratories was an EN14476:2013 + A2:2019. It used the F10SC Disinfectant at a dilution rate of 1:250. To meet the EU standards of efficacy a product must demonstrate at least a 4log (10 000) reduction under test conditions. In this testing* F10SC Disinfectant solution achieved a 5log reduction (100 000). This far exceeds the required standard and is a significant achievement. It also indicates that a higher dilution rate could be used and still achieve the required 4log reduction, however we would recommend that a 1:250 dilution rate be employed to allow for possible variation in on-site conditions.
* the standard 5 minutes at an ambient temperature of 20oC in clean conditions - the conditions in which F10SC Disinfectant is designed to be used
The F10 disinfectant range is based on F10’s tested and proven core actives – a quaternary ammonium compound, Benzalkonium Chloride, and a biguanide compound, Polyhexamethylene Biguanide (PHMB). The antimicrobial mechanism of action of the F10 products is derived not only from that of each of the individual compounds, but also the novel synergistic action of the components.
F10 works by disrupting the micro-organism's cell membrane, causing it to rupture and effecting cell death. The cationic detergents are attracted to the anionic surfaces of micro-organisms, bind to the phospholipids in the cell membrane and denature the proteins impairing permeability.
The independent EN14476:2013 + A2:2019 virucidal test results therefore show:
- F10SC Disinfectant has been proven to be highly effective against coronavirus at a dilution rate of 1:250
It can also be concluded that:
- F10CL Disinfectants (which is the equivalent of a 1:5 solution of F10SC) are effective against coronavirus at a dilution rate of 1:50
- F10 Disinfectant Ready to Use - which is a F10SC pre-diluted at a rate of 1:250 - is effective against coronavirus
- F10 Aerosol Fogger - which contain F10SC Disinfectant at a 1:80 dilution - is effective against coronavirus
- F10 Aerosol Disinfectant - which contain F10SC Disinfectant at a 1:80 dilution - is effective against coronavirus
- F10 Disinfectant Wipes are impregnated with F10SC disinfectant (at a 1:100 dilution) which is effective against coronavirus
The F10 disinfectant products are designed to be applied to surfaces which have been precleaned and should be left to air-dry.
All other products in the F10 product range are based on the same core actives as the F10SC Disinfectant used in the independent tests (see above for more information).
Hand hygiene products
F10 range of hand decontaminants contain the equivalent of a 1:67* concentration of F10SC. This is far in excess of the dilution rate at which the independent testing found F10SC to be effective against coronavirus. The purpose of this relatively high concentration is to reduce contact time and overcome the effects of other interfering factors such as dirty conditions and any other micro-organisms that might also be present.
* - This excludes the F10 Disinfectant Wipes which are impregnated with F10SC at a rate of 1:100
Low alcohol - it is a misconception that a high-alcohol content is always necessary in hand decontaminants. If the efficacy against coronavirus of the product's core actives is proven, then alcohol is not needed to 'kill' the virus, and a lower alcohol content can be beneficial as it helps prevent skin from becoming dry, and encourages repeated use.
High efficacy and low alcohol = Tough on viruses, but kind to your hands
We therefore recommend the following hand decontaminants which can be used with confidence in the fight against coronavirus:
- F10 Hand Gel – a waterless skin decontaminant for use when a washbasin is unavailable. The rapid kill times, long lasting residual action and high levels of emollients make it ideal for frequent use.
- F10 Hand Foam - a ready-to-use waterless hand sanitiser in a great 50ml ‘pocket’ size.
- F10 Hand Scrub – for effective hand washing. With rapid kill times and good residual action it also contains emollients to prevent hands drying out from frequent washing.
- F10 Disinfectant Wipes - which are single-use, biodegradable wipes impregnated with F10SC Disinfectant for quick and easy disinfecting of hands.
F10 safety information
The safety of F10 makes it the ideal product to fight micro-organisms that are spread via droplet transmission as it can be used for high touch surfaces as well as aerial disinfection.
- The products will not cause fumes, irritation, staining or corrosion at working dilutions
- Aldehyde and chlorine free
- No rinsing is required
- The products are biodegradable
F10SC at a dilution of 1:100 can be used in the presence of humans and animals through misters, humidifiers, sprayers, HP washers and electrical fogging machines. (Please note that some of these applications produce a much reduced droplet size which can be irritating to compromised respiratory systems – in such cases it is advised to wear a face mask or to not be present during application).
For complete information regarding performance and toxicity data, please see the information provided by the manufacturers.